March 24-26, 2017
Charleston, South Carolina
Unleash Your Creative Genius
Writing and Photography Workshop
- Do you have a message that you’ve been yearning to share with the world?
- Do you have access to your creative genius?
- Do you want to spend more time exploring your inner and outer world?
- Do you wish your snapshots had more pizazz?
- Do you want to learn how to make the photos you already have less drab and more fab?
- Do you want to start a blog that people will actually read?
- Do you want to get published?
- Do you enjoy visiting beautiful, historic cities?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then it’s time to unleash your creative genius!
Spend an unforgettable weekend in Charleston, the “World’s Best City” [click here to read more]. Walk the historic cobblestone streets, watch dolphins play in the harbor, and feel the warm sun on your cheeks filtered through the leaves of ancient oaks. As you stroll past stately mansions and ornate churches, you’ll be transported back in time. Experience some of the most innovative and fresh cuisine available, in America’s #1 Food City. [click here for more info].
Join Meadow Linn, co-author of The Mystic Cookbook and Quest, in this magical city to unleash your creative genius. Whether you’re a published author, a frequent journal writer, or someone who only picks up a pen to write thank-you cards, this workshop is for you. With carefully-crafted activities that are fun and sometimes outrageous, you’ll ignite your inner muse to unleash a wellspring of creativity. From wandering through a 400-year old cemetery to watching children frolic in Charleston’s iconic fountain, at every corner you’ll find inspiration for your photography and your writing. In a safe, loving, and support environment you’ll be encouraged to share your words and your photos. You’ll learn foolproof strategies to captivate your audience with your first sentence and how to wow with your gorgeous pictures.
In addition to honing your writing, you’ll view the world in new ways through the lens of your camera (point-and-shoot, dslr, or iPhone). No experience necessary. Only through seeing in new ways, will you expand your world. You’ll learn how to not only see things differently, but also how to experience your surroundings from multiple perspectives. Taking photographs informs your writing. And, writing informs your photography. In this workshop you’ll learn the rules of photography and you’ll learn when and how to break them. In addition to learning how to compose a photograph and how to get the most out of your device, you’ll also learn which photo-editing apps are best and how to use them to make incredible images.
At the completion of this weekend retreat, you’ll have a body of work you can use to start a blog, submit to a magazine, or use as the basis for your next book or presentation. And, you’ll go home with strategies for using social media to share your work.
What is creative genius? Watch this TED Talk by Elizabeth Gilbert to find out.
We’ll be having our sessions in a meeting room at The Circular Church, which has been designated a National Historic Landmark. The graveyard at the Circular Church has headstones that date as far back as 1695. It’s one of the oldest graveyards in all of Charleston and has a fascinating history.
The Circular Church
150 Meeting Street
March 24-26, 2017
(Friday evening session, and all-day sessions on Saturday and Sunday)
Guest presenter!!! Sunday afternoon, Denise Linn, the author of 18 books translated into 29 languages, will share her 47 years of experience to teach you how to take your kernel of an idea and grow it into a meaningful piece of writing. She’ll share her writing process and little-known secrets for spreading your message. Translate your passion into a career that fuels your joy! You won’t want to miss this opportunity to work with Denise in such a small, intimate setting.
About Meadow, the workshop leader: In addition to co-authoring two of her own Hay House books (translated into five languages), Meadow has edited 15 non-fiction books for major publishing houses. Meadow shot many of the photographs in The Mystic Cookbook. She is a regular contributor to HealYourLife.com, Australia’s Nature & Health Magazine, and InSpirit Magazine. Meadow’s food/photography blog and bi-monthly column in a Seattle newspaper are hugely popular. As a former schoolteacher, Meadow has taught writing to hundreds of students. She passionately loves grammar and finds playing with sentence structure to be ridiculously fun. Meadow’s photographs have won awards at both the state and national level. In college Meadow was a staff photographer for the school newspaper and for Sports Information (a type of associated press).
- Friday welcome session
- All-day sessions on Saturday and Sunday
- Course materials
- Water and snacks
- Special guest presenter
- Walking adventures and scavenger hunt in historic downtown Charleston
- A private Facebook group
- Fun, joy, and inspiration
- I’m delighted to help you find lodging, recommend restaurants, or suggest sightseeing if you decide to spend a couple extra days in Charleston
What’s Not Included:
* I recommend you fly into Charleston airport (CHS). If you’re not renting a car, you should consider booking a hotel in historic downtown Charleston. If you’re renting a car, there are a number of different areas you may want to explore. Contact me for more information. There’s an event at the local college the same weekend, so I recommend booking your hotel as soon as possible.
What to Bring:
- A laptop, tablet, or other device for writing (journal and pen okay too)
- Camera or smartphone (helpful if you can connect your camera to your computer for photo editing)
- A means for accessing the Internet
- Comfortable clothes and walking shoes
- Willingness to have fun, experiment, and participate
- Sense of humor
* We’ll spend some time walking and exploring the city, if walking is a challenge please let know so that we can make arrangements for you.
I want to ignite my inner muse!
Don’t miss this opportunity to explore your creativity in one of our nation’s most beautiful cities!
During this weekend retreat, do all of the following, and much, much more:
- Go on a guided meditation to meet your muse
- Banish your inner critic
- Invite creativity into your life
- Find inspiration among the moss-covered trees and stately Southern mansions
- Spend an afternoon with guest presenter, world-renowned author, Denise Linn
- Explore historic Charleston
- Learn how to write a kickass opening sentence
- Learn how to write an effective how-to/self-help/personal development article
- Learn tips for marketing and promoting your work
- Find out which photo-editing apps are worth your time and money
- Learn how to take your snapshots from drab to fab
- Discover how to compose beautiful photos that will wow your friends
- View the world in new ways
- Go on a photography scavenger hunt
- Spend quiet time writing
- Share your work in a supportive, loving group
- Gain tools to create a blog/magazine article that people will read and enjoy
Learn how to write from your heart
The payment is refundable until February 9, 2017 — minus a processing fee of $50. Unfortunately, after that we are unable to refund your payment. However, it may be applied toward a future event (with some restrictions).